Who inspires me?
I’ve been contemplating this question from Holley’s Coffee for Your Heart all week as I’ve worked on finalizing artwork with little to no time for writing. Somehow drawing always frees my mind to composing in thoughts, if not yet by pen (or keyboard)…
And my rhetorical answer is – must I limit that to just one inspiring person?
My spirit sails like cloud white schooners across a blue sky when I think of these who lift me to greater heights:
- The girls and boys I’ve watched grow up, now young women and men, who courageously, joyously, breathlessly take their music and dance to the stage… flying en pointe, employing oboes and saxophones and brass horns to sing grace and beauty and light out over rooms full of audience… as though they performed for but one.
- Women who give generously and openly of home and heart and warmth. Punctuate gifts and tables and life with all the finessing details that wrap memories with brightly-shimmering bows.
- Authors who lift me to fresh insights, write with lyrical pen, leave me with characters who breathe so alive in my imagination that I am nearly writing their ongoing scenarios long after closing the book.
- Artists who create mood in pictures that stir stories upon my heart.
- Men and women who pray intimately, deeply, genuinely…lifting His words of hope and promise back and up to the One who lives in us, soaring Faith…
- Encouragers who build others up, cherish what is good and noble and lovely.
- Entertainers who make me cry with the beauty of their song, the fun or tenderness or sweetness of their humor… bring me into their “living rooms” as a welcomed guest… lift me to prayers of blessing over them…
No, I do not hunger to be on stage or entertain. But somehow the joy and freedom and beauty I see in others who do, releases and soars my own dreams of creating something lasting and refreshing and reflective of His Majesty in ongoing ways. Makes me step out with a little more…brave… in my soul.
For me, it is in stories and music of words. In illustrations that put thoughts and memories and a kind of light within us, the kind that can make people feel something warming they maybe can’t even put into words. In encouraging others.
And, music… the written words… prayers of heart… they all inspire me to opening my hands up to the One who wants to waft us as a lasting, refreshing fragrance in this world. To seeking more and more how to lean into the Holy Spirit, hearing and following His leading, and praying, O Lord, take the gifts You put in me, big or small, and anoint them to bring your oil of gladness, beauty, light to inspire others… shining and rising Your glory over all.
Who inspires you?
© Pam Depoyan
“…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”
~ Phil 4:8 NIV
Linking with Holley
Also sharing with: Sunday Stillness with Janis Cox